I made a little film about ice cream. I found the recipe on Golubka's gorgeous blog and have been dreaming of it ever since.
I hope it makes you hungry.
Acorn Squash, Ginger and Maple Pecan Ice Cream
(makes 3 batches)
Adapted from Golubka.
2 small acorn squashes
2 cans full-fat coconut milk
grated ginger (as much as you'd like)
3/4 cup maple syrup or more to taste
pinch of sea salt
cinnamon to taste
for the pecans
large handful of pecans
maple syrup and coconut oil for drizzle
to make the ice cream base
1. Turn the oven to 400 F (180 C). Place the squash halves cut-side down on the baking sheet and roast until soft throughout. Let cool.
2. Meanwhile, pour the coconut milk into a medium saucepan, add in ginger, and cinnamon, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let infuse for 30 minutes.
3. Combine the squash flesh and gingery coconut milk and the rest of ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
4. Chill well in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
to toast the pecans
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). In a bowl, drizzle pecans with maple syrup, coconut oil and a pinch of sea salt and mix to coat. Lightly toast until browned and crunchy.
to make the ice cream
1. Churn the ice-cream base in your ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Layer the candied pecans and the ice cream into your container (I had almost a gallon on ice cream in the end)
3. Chill for at least 2 hours or longer before serving. When hardened completely, let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before scooping.